Pages

Friday, March 21, 2014

The Book Thief

WARNING: This review reveals some of the book so read with caution!!

This week was the last week of my third grading period. After I finished a very challenging vocabulary test,  I decided to watch The Book Thief. This movie was much better than I expected. I heard from a few friends that this movie did not include parts in the book. The film left out certain elements of the book, but it was still a good movie.

I'm giving this movie a rating of 3 out of 10 because they left out important parts of the book. The first thing that wasn't in the film was the book that Max wrote Liesel. This was such an important part in the story because it helped bond the two characters. In the novel, The Book Thief, Max wrote Liesel a story over the pages of Mein Kampf. In the film Max did paint over the pages of Mein Kampf. But, there was never a story book shown in the movie. I disliked that Max's book wasn't in the movie because his book was one of my favorite parts. I loved this moment between the two characters. It was so sweet and showed that a young German girl and a Jewish man could become friends. The second thing that I didn't really like about the movie was the scene when Liesel finds her family dead. In the book she said heartfelt things to her father, mother, and good friend Rudy. In the film she went up to Rudy and asked him to wake up and kiss her. But, she expressed little emotion to her mother and father. It was a sweet moment, but I was hoping that Liesel would have had a stronger reaction to their death.

One thing I did really like about this movie was the scenery. The sets were beautifully designed. The sets also accurately resembled how the streets of Germany, during World War Two, would have looked. The movie wasn't just filmed on sets; it was actually filmed in Germany. I went to IMDb and saw that The Book Thief was filmed in multiple different places in Germany.
Image courtesy of IMP Awards
This movie captured most elements of the book very well. It was a great movie so I recommend that you watch the film! Talk to you guys next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment