Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

Meeting With A Professional Actress

This is not the normal post you see on this blog. I usually do reviews on movies (actually that's all I really do). But, today I am writing about my experience meeting with a professional actress. I hope you enjoy this post.

I can not begin to describe how amazing this experience was, but I'm going to try. I met with a professional actress this weekend, and she helped me with my monologue for drama class. At first I was terrified to meet with her because I thought I would waste her time. My nerves slowly started to go away; I realized she was there to help me, not to criticize me.

The first thing we did was discuss my character's personality and what she was trying to accomplish in the monologue. I thought this was a useful method to get into the mind set of the character. I will be using this method whenever I prepare a scene for drama. Next, we read the monologue aloud standing up. But, we realized that my monologue took place on a roller coaster, so I then read the monologue sitting down.

I have always struggled with stage fright when I perform. So, I asked her if she is ever nervous on stage. She also has stage fright when she performs, but she has methods to reduce her anxiety.  She reduces her "nerves" by saying to herself, " I am not Anne Decker. I don't know who that is. I am "whatever character" I am trying to portray." She thinks about how that character would not be nervous on stage. This helped me immensely with reducing my stage fright. It soon became easier to perform, and it felt like a weight had been lifted from my shoulders when I would perform.

We then worked on one paragraph at a time adding different emotions. She gave me great tips that helped me see what the monologue was really about. By the end of our hour and a half together, my monologue was finished. This meeting was amazing, and I hope to work with her again soon.

Anne Decker, the actress I met, is going to be in a play coming up soon. It's called A loss of Appetite. Please go check it out; she's an amazing actress. Hopefully you enjoyed this post talk to you next week! :)
Image courtesy of The Salt Lake Tribune

No comments:

Post a Comment